Bicester Cottage Hospital

Bicester Cottage Hospital in October 1987 Built in 1908 at King's End and extended in 1927/8 and 1959. The building was registered as a nursing home in 1928 and became a General Practitioner maternity unit in 1949. It was a cottage and community hospital and is still running. On joining the NHS in 1948 it was administered by Banbury and District Hospital Management Committee. Responsibility passed to Oxfordshire Area Health Authority (Teaching) in 1974, Oxfordshire Health Authority in 1982, Oxfordshire Community Health NHS Trust in 1994 and North East Oxfordshire Primary Care Trust in March 2001, and then to Oxfordshire Primary Care Trust. It is now run by Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust as Bicester Community Hospital.

Records of Bicester Cottage Hospital include:

  • Registration certificate 1928
  • Committee minutes 1947-1968
  • Account books 1940-1948
  • Patient records 1972-1975

For a full catalogue click here. Links to the sections of the catalogue are listed on the right hand side of the page.

There may be information in the records of Banbury and District Hospital Management Committee and Oxfordshire Community Health NHS Trust

Bicester Cottage Hospital is featured in this Tale from the Archives

Sufficient without waste: hospital food

Back to list of hospitals