Borocourt, Henley on Thames

BorocourtBorocourt was founded in 1930 by Berkshire and Oxfordshire County Councils to care for the mentally handicapped. The building was originally Wyfold Manor House, erected in 1878. It became part of the NHS in 1948, under Berkshire County Mental (1948-c.1968) and St. Birinus (c.1968-1974) Hospital Management Committees. West Berkshire Health Authority took over in 1974. The hospital closed in 1993 and the building has now been converted for housing.

Records of Borocourt

We have no records of the hospital itself, but there may be administrative information in the records of Oxfordshire Health Authority. These will not contain any patient case files.

There are records 1926-1948 at Oxfordshire History Centre [limited access - refer to staff at Oxfordshire History Centre].

There are also records at Berkshire Record Office.

Back to list of hospitals