Chipping Norton War Memorial Hospital

Chipping Norton War Memorial Hospital at Christmas in the 1980s

The original building was erected as a private house before 1875 and during World War I it was presented by Mrs Walford and run as a Red Cross hospital by Mrs Daly of Over Norton Park. It was opened as a war memorial in 1920 and run as a cottage hospital, administered by an Executive Committee and supported by voluntary contributions; there was a hospital contributory scheme until 1948. About 10,000 was raised in the 1930s to extend the original building (in 1938/9), which had provided only sixteen beds and one private ward. Serious cases were sent to the Radcliffe Infirmary, with only minor operations performed on the premises. A Matron was in charge of the hospital and local doctors attended the patients. The hospital moved from its original site to London Road, Chipping Norton, at the end of February 2011.

By the time the hospital became part of the NHS in 1948 the financial situation was very poor. Between 1948 and 1974 the hospital was under Banbury and District Hospital Management Committee, centred on the Horton Hospital. Responsibility passed to Oxfordshire Area Health Authority (Teaching) in 1974, Oxfordshire Health Authority in 1982, Oxfordshire Community Health NHS Trust in April 1994, Cherwell Vale Primary Care Trust in March 2001 and Oxfordshire Primary Care Trust in October 2006. It is now run by Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust.

Records of Chipping Norton War Memorial Hospital include:

  • Minutes 1919-1920, 1926-1966
  • Reports of Matrons 1921-1928, 1934-1960
  • Accounts 1920-1947
  • Admission and discharge registers 1951-1983
  • Registers of Hospital Midwives 1959-1972
  • Operations register 1955-1963

For a full catalogue click here. Links to the sections of the catalogue are listed on the right hand side of the page.

There may be information in the records of Banbury and District Hospital Management Committee, Oxfordshire Health Authority and Oxfordshire Community Health NHS Trust link to What is in our Archives - Administrative Bodies

Back to list of hospitals