Holyrood House, South Leigh

Holyrood House, probably taken in the 1930s

The building was founded as a school (St. James' College) in about 1875, and subsequently passed through the hands of several organizations. It became a residential psychiatric home in 1956 under the name Holyrood House. In about 1977 it was taken over by Oxfordshire Area Health Authority and run as a hostel by the Mental Handicap Unit (later the Learning Disability Unit). In 1987 there were twenty seven places. The building is now private housing.

Records of Holyrood

We have no records of the hospital itself, but there may be administrative information in the records of Oxfordshire Health Authority and the Mental Health Unit; these will not contain any patient case files.

Back to list of hospitals