Neithrop Hospital, Banbury

Neithrop Hospital in 1953

The main block of the hospital was the workhouse of the Banbury poor law union, originally built in 1835 and with many later additions. The Infirmary was built in 1870, subsequently became the maternity unit and was converted into a geriatric and rehabilitation unit in 1964. The Neithrop was an NHS hospital 1948-1958 and 1961-1990, coming under Banbury and District Hospital Management Committee and Oxfordshire Health Authority. It was run by the National Assistance Board 1958-1961. The Neithrop was under constant threat of closure from 1974 and was closed in June 1990. Housing is now on the site.

Records of Neithrop Hospital include:

  • Admission register 1963-1987 [not definitely identified as Neithrop]
  • Papers relating to the demolition of the 'spider' or 'star' block 1968-1969
  • Photographs 1953 and 1990

For a full catalogue click here. Links to the sections of the catalogue are listed on the right hand side of the page.

There may be information post 1948 in the records of Banbury and District Hospital Management Committee and Oxfordshire Health Authority

For a full list of Banbury and District Hospital Management Committee records click here.

Oxfordshire History Centre holds records of Banbury Poor Law Union [PLU1]

Back to list of hospitals