Oxford Corporation Infectious Diseases Hospital

Undated plan of an Oxford Corporation Infectious Diseases Hospital

In the minutes of the Local Board of Health 1871 there are several references to the establishment of a temporary smallpox hospital, the preferred site being 'St. Giles near Woodstock Road'. It is possible that the plans listed below are of this temporary hospital. On 18 August 1871 there is a resolution to fit up the temporary hospital to accommodate 8 patients and to appoint medical practitioners. Later the building is referred to as being in St. Giles' Field. It seems that the site was owned by St. John's College; in the final Local Board minute book in 1889 there are references to the College wanting the site back. Two years later the City Isolation Hospital was opened at Cold Arbour.

Records of Oxford Corporation Infectious Diseases Hospital include:

Undated elevations and plans of an Oxford Corporation Infectious Diseases Hospital [possibly the temporary hospital referred to above]

Back to list of hospitals