Smiths Isolation Hospital, Henley on Thames

In existence in 1892, this was an isolation hospital when the NHS took it over in 1948. The isolation hospital closed in November 1949, after which it was a children's psychiatric hospital 1952-1988. The buildings were sold in 1990. Smiths came under Reading and District (1948-1949), Berkshire County Mental (1949-c.1968) and St. Birinus (c.1968-1974) Hospital Management Committees. West Berkshire Health Authority took over in 1974.

Records of Smiths Isolation Hospital

Committee minutes 1948-1949

Oxfordshire History Centre has admission records 1892-1948 [reference; P397/R/1: limited access - refer to staff at Oxfordshire History Centre].

Some information with the St Birinus Group Hospital Management Committee records at Berkshire Record Office

Back to list of hospitals