Sunnyside, Oxford

Sunnyside in the early 1920sIn 1921 Dr. Ivy Williams gave the Sunnyside estate to the Radcliffe Infirmary. It was a house in Hollow Way, Cowley, with fifty acres of land, and it was used as a convalescent home, initially for twelve women and eight children. In 1930 the estate was sold and the name was transferred to a new thirty bed convalescent hospital on the Manor House estate. In 1954 it was combined with the Osler Pavilion as the Osler Hospital, and it closed in 1969 as part of the clearance of the site for the John Radcliffe Hospital.

The hospital was administered by the Radcliffe Infirmary until 1948, and then by the United Oxford Hospitals.

Records of Hospital

There may be information in the records of the Radcliffe Infirmary and the United Oxford Hospitals

Back to list of hospitals