Townlands Hospital, Henley on Thames

Part of Townlands HospitalThis was originally the Henley Union Workhouse, later Henley's Public Assistance Institution (from 1929). Renamed Townlands Hospital in October 1946, it became part of the NHS as a general hospital in 1948. It was under Reading and District Hospital Management Committee 1948-1974, and then West Berkshire Health Authority, South East Oxfordshire Primary Care Trust and Oxfordshire Primary Care Trust. It is now run by Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust as Townlands Community Hospital.

Records of Townlands Hospital include:

  • Minutes 1948-1969
  • Birth and maternity records 1902-1956
  • Registers of deaths 1944-1960
  • Admission and discharge registers 1947-1963

Oxfordshire History Centre holds records of Henley Poor Law Union and Workhouse [PLU4]

Back to list of hospitals