Warren Hospital, Abingdon

The Warren Cottage Hospital became part of the NHS in 1948 and was administered by the Oxford and District Hospital Management Committee 1948-1956 and by the Nuffield Hospital Management Committee 1956-1974. Responsibility passed to Oxfordshire Area Health Authority (Teaching) in 1974 and Oxfordshire Health Authority in 1982.

From 1952 onwards the hospital was maternity only, manned by local GPs, and it closed in July 1968; patients were transferred to Ward 3 in Abingdon Hospital. In February 1969 the hospital was reopened by Dr Lionel Cosin and Miss Stone as a 16 bed geriatric unit, and it closed finally in 1977. The building was sold in 1984.

Records of the Warren Hospital

Admission register 1943-1968

There may be information in the records of Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre Hospital Management Committee, Nuffield Hospital Management Committee, and Oxfordshire Health Authority

Back to list of hospitals