Watlington Cottage / Community Hospital

Watlington Hospital in the 1980sWatlington Cottage Hospital was opened in 1873. It became part of the NHS in 1948 and was administered by the Oxford and District Hospital Management Committee 1948-1956 and by the Nuffield Hospital Management Committee 1956-1974, by which time it was known as Watlington and District Hospital. Responsibility passed to Oxfordshire Area Health Authority (Teaching) in 1974, Oxfordshire Health Authority in 1982 and Oxfordshire Community Health NHS Trust in April 1994. The hospital closed in 2000.

Records of Watlington Hospital include:

  • Minutes 1944-1956
  • Monthly reports of the Matron 1947-1961
  • Admission and discharge registers 1919-1946
  • Hospital Registers of Midwives' cases 1931-1950
  • Ground and first floor plan 1961

There may be information (post 1948) in the records of Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre Hospital Management Committee, Nuffield Hospital Management Committee, Oxfordshire Health Authority and Oxfordshire Community Health NHS Trust

There are also records at Oxfordshire History Centre

Hospital is featured in this Tale from the Archives:

Class distinction and moral policing

Back to list of hospitals