Cotshill Hospital, Chipping Norton
The first Chipping Norton Workhouse was in Church Street, subsequently moving to a building in London Road. It was the workhouse 1836-1929 and the Chipping Norton Public Assistance Institution 1929-1948. The hospital functioned as an Emergency Medical Service hospital during World War 2. In 1948 it became part of the NHS and was named the London Road Hospital, but quickly became known as the Cotshill Hospital. After July 1948 it was under the Banbury and District Hospital Management Committee, but responsibility had passed to Pewsey Hospital Management Committee by 1960 and to Swindon and District Hospital Management Committee by 1974. Oxfordshire Area Health Authority (Teaching) took over in 1974 and Oxfordshire Health Authority in 1982. At the time of closure in 1983 it was a hospital for the mentally handicapped.
Records of Cotshill Hospital
- Administrative records of the Emergency Medical Service hospital 1939-1942
- Correspondence about employing Civil Nursing Reserve nurses 1939-1945
- Plans 1946-1979
- Patient records [incomplete] 1910-1953
- Site photographs 1985
- Sale particulars 1988
There may be information (post 1948) in the records of Banbury and District Hospital Management Committee and Oxfordshire Health Authority
Oxfordshire History Centre holds records of the Workhouse, Board of Guardians, Rural District Council and Rural Sanitary Authority from 1835.
Last updated: 29 August, 2018