Skip navigation
Skip to main content Skip to footer

Mr. Batt’s Madhouse, Witney

In 1823 Edward Batt opened ‘a house to care for those suffering ‘diseases of the mind’. The institution was run by members of the Batt family until its closure in 1857. The building is still standing in Bridge Street.

See also:

  • The private licensed houses at Hook Norton and Witney : provisions for the insane and incidence of insanity in Oxfordshire by William Llywelyn Parry-Jones (London: Routledge and Kegan Paul; Toronto: University of Toronto Press, c1972 – available at Oxfordshire History Centre)

Records of Mr. Batt’s Madhouse

There are no records at Oxfordshire Health Archives.

Oxfordshire History Centre has records 1828-1888 [QSL III/1-2, QSL V/1-4, QSL VI/1-3, QSL VII/1-6, QSL VIII/1-2, QSL IX/1]

Back to list of hospitals

Last updated: 29 August, 2018